Sunday, November 22, 2009

"DJ For A Week" KPOP Connection's 2nd Anniversary

Wow...it's been 3 1/2 months since my last post. That's gotta be a record, right? hehe

죄송합니다~~~!! I'm sorry!!

Here are some pictures from KPOP Connection's special event "DJ For A Week," which commemorated the show's 2nd anniversary. Last year, we invited 3 listeners to co-host the show with us. Selene from Malaysia was the grand prize winner, and was flown over and housed at a hotel, courtesy of KBS World Radio. Listeners Steve (from Malaysia and the US) and Paul (from the US) were also chosen to host the show with Chris and me.

This year, we decided to expand the special event to a week's worth of shows, with 3 guest DJs hosting two shows each. This year's grand prize winner was Kim Shaw, from the US. Two other Americans, Cheyenne Dorsey and James Lockett, were also chosen to co-host the show with us.
The first two weeks of November were busy, busy, busy, but a lot of fun. Young and I had a blast with our special guest DJs and all of us enjoyed the events and festivities that coincided with the show's anniversary.

We had a couple of dinners and nights at the noraebang (singing room/karaoke); we were featured in a local English newspaper, the Korea Times ; and we were guests on a top domestic radio show hosted by singer/song-writer Maybee.

Cheyenne, Kim, me, Maybee, Young and James

Because it was a domestic show, it was all in Korean. Although the guest DJs were a little nervous about speaking Korean, no one was as nervous as I was! I'm not fluent and though I was born and raised in the US, I'm still expected to speak Korean well because I'm Korean by blood. It's a little backwards if you ask me. That being said, I do acknowledge that I need to study the language more, seeing as how I live and work here :P

Anyway, the 30 minutes we were on the show flew by and Maybee's listeners loved Kim, Cheyenne and James. In true Korean fashion, they were asked to show off their "개인기/gaeingi/personal talent." As it was a music radio show, they were asked to sing and they did a great job! Kim sang "소원을 말해봐/Tell Me Your Wish" by Girls' Generation; Cheyenne sang Baek Ji-Young's "나쁜 사람/ Bad Person" from the Hwang Jini OST; and James sang a Yoon Do-Hyun/YB medley.

We bumped into actor Lee Bum-Soo, who was scheduled to go on the show after us. Kim and I said "안녕하세요/Annyeonghasaeyo" to him, but I think he was too shocked by the sight of so many foreigners to say hi back.

Lee Bum-Soo


Although the whole experience was well-documented by the KBS internet team and KBS-staffer Luke Cleary (I think he should have the video up soon...? Check out his video blog anyway because it's fun AND informative ^^ ), I do not have many pictures. My poor baby Nikon is on the fritz and the flash won't work. I did manage to take a few pictures of the recording we did for the special edition of Korean Pop Interactive, which aired on Sunday, November 15th.


Our producer Sophia Hong and Luke

Cheyenne, James, Young and Kim


Kim and Young-in from the KBS World Radio internet team



The rest are photos I took when I gave Kim a guided tour of downtown Seoul. We hit Gwanghwamun, Insadong, Gyeongbok Palace, Cheonggye Stream and Myeongdong. Unfortunately, my camera battery died while we were out, so I only got a few pictures of the palace and Insadong.

Visitors posing with one of the "guards"







When Kim and I went to Insadong for lunch, we found an apple festival on one end of the street and actress Han Ji-Min (from the drama "Cain and Abel" with my man So Ji-sub :P ) participating in a children's charity event on the other.


I felt like such a stalkerazzi (stalker-paparazzi)



Kim enjoying her 모과/mogwa/quince tea. I had the 유자/yuja/citron tea.


And those are all the pictures I took of the event. I'm going to ask Cheyenne and Kim to send me the ones they took with their cameras, but I hope these will do for now ^___^

The rest of the pictures are for Selene, who requested pictures of the beautiful fall foliage.








4 comments:

ajumma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michie said...

HI Sarah, You're BACK! hehehe.

Wow that sounds really fun. Having to host a show and meeting Korean Artist. That's a dream come true. I bet the 3 winners really had a memorable times with all the people in KBS World Radio.

Thanks for posting and also telling some news about the event. Keep Up the GOOD WORK. Fighting!!

~ Michelle Lim

Unknown said...

Hi, Sarah,

Thanks for updating your blog. The pictures look all great except for mine. Why do I look that funny? LOL
Sophia

amanina hamid said...

how can i be yr follower? i love yr entries, it reminds me of my day when i was in korea, huuu :D